There are many different programs and services that students can access to help them through their math and science courses. Whether it’s group tutoring, drop-in programs, 1-on-1 tutoring, or weekly lessons, there are a variety of different options for students, but many students still prefer, and receive the most benefit from 1-on-1 tutoring. Here are five reasons why 1-on-1 tutoring can be an effective program for students:
1) A strong relationship with your tutor – With 1-on-1 tutoring, the student gets the benefit of building a strong relationship with their tutor. This allows the student to gain comfort with the tutor, and their tutoring style. It is also beneficial for the tutor, as they can adapt to the learning style of the student, and use techniques and approaches that will be most effective for the student.
2) Focus on YOUR questions – Unlike group tutoring sessions, 1-on-1 tutoring allows the tutor to focus on a student’s particular issues, struggles and concerns. Whether it’s a particular portion of a unit, or a particular question from a homework set or assignment, the tutor can focus on the concerns of that one student, and does not need to worry about keeping multiple students engaged during the session.
3) Limit distractions – 1-on-1 tutoring helps to limit the number of distractions that are present during the tutoring session. The sessions can be held in-home, or at any other quiet location, which limits the distractions from the environment. There are also no other students participating in the session, which for some students can be very distracting, and reduce the effectiveness of the session. 1-on-1 tutoring limits these potential distractions, and allows both the tutor and the student to focus and make effective use of their time during the session.
4) Study skills and other support – During 1-on-1 sessions, tutors have the time and flexibility to go beyond simply teaching content, and focus on other aspects of learning that will help the student succeed in their course(s). This includes providing study tips and tricks, giving advice on how to take good notes in class, and even discussing the student’s post-secondary plans and providing guidance on what courses the student should be taking.
5) Flexible scheduling – 1-on-1 tutoring allows students to schedule sessions whenever works best for them. Some students prefer evenings, others prefer weekends. Some students prefer regular weekly sessions, while others prefer to schedule sessions as they need them. Regardless of what type of schedule best suites the student’s needs, 1-on-1 tutoring allows for the flexibility to schedule session when they will be most beneficial for the student.